Jul 25 - Tourist Board Deploys New ‘Aqua-Park’ At Western Beach
The Gibraltar Tourist Board has announced the installation of the Rock’s first ever aqua-park at Western Beach. The inflatable facility is already in full swing and will enhance the safe enjoyment of the beach for both adults and children alike.
The GTB are keen to emphasise the correct, risk-free use of the new amenity and have posted signs containing operating instructions and common-sense safety precautions such as not exceeding the maximum number of users at any one time, under-age restrictions and compulsory parental supervision of children below 12.
Minister for Tourism, Commercial Affairs, Public Transport and the Port, the Hon Neil Costa MP noted that the aqua park was excellent news that would be welcomed by all beachgoers during the bathing season. He also commended GTB staff for their efforts in completing this new and exciting initiative.
Mr Costa further highlighted the enhanced accessibility for persons with disabilities that had been introduced this year. These now include all of the following:
• Accessibility unit pergolas at Eastern Beach, Catalan Bay, Camp Bay and Western Beach.
• Accessibility from these pergolas to the shoreline via means of ‘mobi-mats’: synthetic walkways specially designed for the transit of mobile chairs on the beach.
• Mobile hoists at each of these pergolas for transfers to be carried out onto the accessible beach equipment.
• Amphibious chairs of various types on loan (from the GTB) at each of these units.
• Beach umbrellas, tables and chairs on loan (from the GTB) at each of these units.
• Overhead tracking hoist systems and electronically adjustable adult changing beds at Camp Bay and Eastern Beach (South) accessible toilet, shower and changing room facilities.
• Extensive construction of accessible ramps at Camp Bay providing access to all areas, including the shoreline.
• A wooden walkway providing access from the Catalan Bay car park to the village and a wooden accessible ramp providing access to the beach.
• Three beach tents at the Eastern Beach Accessible Service Unit
Mr Costa said: “All of these features further complement and enhance the measures and improvements already rolled out at local beaches this summer and previously set out in previous statements. I am thoroughly delighted with the raft of new services rolled out this year and wish to thank again the unstinting efforts and professionalism of the Gibraltar Tourist Board.”